Disclosure Statement: Durand Financial Services Pty Ltd and its advisers are authorised representatives of Fortnum Private Wealth Ltd ABN 54 139 889 535 AFSL 357306. General Advice Warning: The information contained within this website does not consider your personal circumstances and is of a general nature only. You should not act on it without first obtaining professional financial advice specific to your circumstances.
(Australian Associated Press)
LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has called for a review of Australia’s quarantine system after a cluster of the deadly UK coronavirus strain emerged in a Brisbane hotel.
* The Grand Chancellor Hotel has been shut for deep cleaning after four people quarantining there, a cleaner and her partner contracted the strain.
* All 129 people staying at the hotel are being moved to another hotel and tested before restarting 14-day quarantine, while 226 others who have worked at the hotel since December 30 will be isolated and tested.
* NSW will require at least another three weeks to fully extinguish clusters around Greater Sydney, health authorities warn.
* The state recorded one new local case in the 24 hours to 8pm on Tuesday – a child who was a close contact of a previously-confirmed case linked to the 28-person Berala cluster.
* Six other cases were uncovered in NSW hotel quarantine.
* Sydney’s Luna Park is $5000 poorer after breaching restrictions on New Year’s Eve.
* The Victorian government defended its tough border restrictions, as the state reached one week without a local or interstate-acquired case.
* Western Australia’s health minister defended the state’s COVID-19 rules after a Queensland woman was denied the chance to see her dying mother in Perth.
* Tasmania is holding firm with border restrictions for Greater Brisbane and Greater Sydney amid new cases in both capitals.
* South Australia will lift restrictions for travellers from regional NSW but continue to block visitors from Sydney and surrounds.
* Australia’s chief medical officer has urged conspiracy theory-peddling Liberal MP Craig Kelly to decide if promoting unproven virus treatments is appropriate.
* The Australian Medical Association is calling on the federal government to launch an advertising campaign against health misinformation.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* There were 16 new virus cases recorded in Australia on Wednesday: seven in NSW, three in Victoria, two each in Queensland and SA and one in WA and the NT. All but one in NSW were recorded in hotel quarantine.
* The national death toll is 909: Victoria 820, NSW 56, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 6, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 91,605,000
* Deaths: at least 1,962,000
* Recovered: at least 50,630,000.
Data current as of 1815 AEDT January 13, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre.