Disclosure Statement: Durand Financial Services Pty Ltd and its advisers are authorised representatives of Fortnum Private Wealth Ltd ABN 54 139 889 535 AFSL 357306. General Advice Warning: The information contained within this website does not consider your personal circumstances and is of a general nature only. You should not act on it without first obtaining professional financial advice specific to your circumstances.
You can lodge online using myTax, through a registered tax agent or complete a paper tax return. Your tax return covers the income year from 1 July to 30 June. If you need to complete a tax return you must lodge it or engage with a tax agent, by 31 October.
When you lodge a tax return you include how much money you earn (income) and any expenses you can claim as a deduction.
On this page:
If you need to lodge a tax return, you can choose from of the following options depending on your circumstances.
- Lodge your tax return online with myTax – this is the quick, safe and secure way to prepare and lodge your own return
- Lodge your tax return with a registered tax agent
- Lodge a paper tax return
Find out more about how to:
- Lodging your first tax return
- Lodge your tax return before leaving Australia – you may be able to lodge early if you are leaving Australia permanently
- Lodge your tax return from outside Australia
- Lodge a prior year tax return – if you still need to lodge a tax return for a previous year
- Lodge a non-lodgment advice – if you don’t need to lodge a tax return
- Applying for a refund of franking credits
After you lodge you can check the progress of your tax return using our self-serve options.
If you need help lodging your tax return, see Help and support to lodge your tax return.
Information you need to lodge
Before you lodge, find out What’s new for individuals this tax time.
To lodge your tax return, we recommend you have available all of the following information available. You will need your:
- bank account details (BSB and account number)
- income statement or payment summaries from all of your employers
- payment summaries from Centrelink (Services Australia)
- receipts or statements for the expenses you are claiming as deductions
- your spouse’s income (if you have one)
- private health insurance information (if you have cover).
If you lodge your tax return online using myTax, we will pre-fill most of this information for you. To lodge online you will need to link your myGov account to the ATO.
If you’re lodging your own tax return, you need to lodge it by 31 October each year.
If 31 October falls on a weekend, the due date to lodge your tax return is the next business day after 31 October.
If you choose to use the services of a registered tax agent, they will generally have special lodgment schedules and can lodge returns for clients later than 31 October. If you are using a registered tax agent, you need to engage them before 31 October.
If you’re having difficulties meeting your tax obligations or are unable to lodge by 31 October, contact us as soon as possible.
If you lodge your own tax return and it results in a tax bill, payment is due by 21 November even if you lodge:
- between 1 July and 31 October
- after the 31 October.
Even if you the miss the due date, it is important to lodge as soon as you can.
If you expect a tax bill, don’t delay lodging. The due date for payment when you lodge your own tax return is 21 November even if you lodge late. Interest will apply to any amount you owe after 21 November.
If you’re finding it hard to pay on time, you can request a payment plan:
- online for debts $100,000 or less – you will need a myGov account linked to the ATO
- by automated phone service for debts of $100,000 or less
- by phone, contact us for debts over $100,000 so we can work with you to tailor a payment plan to your circumstances.